Personally I am not a huge fan of mayonnaise. Especially in potato salad! But a summer BBQ is not complete without a classic potato salad. So this summer I am trying something different and remixing a classic with my Roasted Baby Potato Salad with Herb Vinaigrette.
Store bought tomato salad can be rather unappetizing. You might find a long list of strange ingredients listed on the back as well as added oils. Who wants that in their potato salad? Potato salad is an obvious american tradition but so many of the potato salads available have harmful preservatives and could sit on the shelf for weeks before you purchase it.
Instead of loading up on a potato salad that can have hundreds of calories and dangerous ingredients why not mix it up and make your own. This is a simple and fresh take on potato salad that is perfect for any summer BBQ.
Try this mayonnaise free version of potato salad and your body will thank you!
You will need:
About a 1.5 pounds of baby potatoes or whatever potato is your favorite(I had purple, red and white), 1 Tablespoon chopped Fresh Rosemary, 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, pinch Salt/Pepper
Juice of half a lemon , Lemon skin grated, Minced or grated garlic about 3 cloves, 1/4 cup of fresh parsley chopped, Olive Oil, Fresh cracked pepper
1. Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees
2. Cut potatoes into bite size pieces either in halves or chunks.
3. Either use a mixing bowl or mix directly on the baking sheet 2 tablespoons of olive oil, potatoes, 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary, a pinch of salt, and finally pepper. Make sure each potato is coated.
4 . Bake at 400 degrees until potatoes are soft and have created a nice outer skin. About 35-45 minute depending on your potato. While potatoes are baking work on vinaigrette -* see below
5. Remove from oven and baking sheet and let come to room temperature.
6. *Prepare vinaigrette by combining 5-8 tablespoons of olive oil, half a squeeze of lemon, lemon peel grated, garlic, pepper, and fresh chopped parsley. Mix well
7. Once potatoes are cool before serving combine vinaigrette and roasted potatoes in a serving bowl and top with extra parsley. Either chill or enjoy right away!
A simple twist on an American classic!