Kitchen Daily is a great website I use to get inspired on recipes for the week and quick weeknight dinners! They give you options for breakfast, lunch and dinner for any day of the week. Baked Penne with Chicken Sausage and Kale caught my eye when I was looking for a quick yet hearty meal. It’s really delicious and their are tons of leftovers for another night!
I made this recipe for my boyfriend and I on a weeknight when we were in a rush to eat dinner quickly- because we were starving! It took less then a half hour and was full of fresh kale and chicken sausage. The dish was so big that we had it for dinner another night also! Love recipes like that. Here is my take on Kitchen Dailys’ Baked Penne with Chicken Sausage and Kale.
- 1 package of chicken sausage (12 ounces)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion
- fresh basil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large bunch of kale
- mozzarella cheese for topping
- parmesan cheese for topping
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- box of penne pasta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and boil pot of water with salt. While oven is pre heating chop the red onion and garlic. Prepare kale by removing the center rib and chopping coarsely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add red onion and cook until soft. Add garlic
- Remove sausage casing and add sausage in onion mixture.
- Begin to break up into pieces and once browned add can of tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, and add salt and pepper. Simmer until pasta is done partially cooking.
- Add pasta to boiling water cook for 8 minutes. Add kale for 1 more minute. Drain.
- Add sauce and pasta to a baking dish while draining pastas. Pour drained pasta and kale over baking dish and mix until everything is covered.
- Sprinkle with both cheeses.
- Bake for 8 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy with a big salad!
Usually I try and stay away from dishes that have a large amount of pasta. Once in a while it is okay to splurge and have a dish like this. Although it may seem like a heavy dish it was very light thanks to the can of crushed tomatoes as a sub for a jarred pasta sauce.
I always try to stick to everything in moderation. If you deprive yourself of something like pastas which you may enjoy you are more likely to binge when you have it – and eat a lot more! Enjoy foods that you love. If this is something you would love to have- make it- just remember – moderation. Enjoy!