A simple Summer Cobbler! What could be better?
I love how all the fruit in the markets are so juicy and inexpensive. I find myself buying more fruit in the summer then in the winter. Sometimes I do not have a chance to eat all the fruit before it starts to go bad. I try and find ways to use the fruits before that happens- hence blueberry and strawberry cobbler. This recipe would work with other fruits, is super easy, and a delicious treat!
The batter for this cobbler is very easy. I find myself always looking for the easiest ways to do things because I we are all very busy! This cobbler is no exception- you probably won’t find a simpler home made desert – besides buying it in the store. To try and keep things semi-healthy i substituted the 1 cup of sugar for agave nectar and the milk for almond milk.
You can use any summer fruit that you like! Peaches, nectarines, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries all work fine! I find it comes out better with fresh fruit- however, if you use frozen the result will be the same.
p.s. i also served this desert around the 4th of July so the colors of the blueberries and strawberries went perfect with the red white and blue theme. Hope you enjoy!
You will need:
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter depending on size of your pan. (I used 2)
- 3/4 cups of all purpose flower
- 1/2 cup of light agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of almond milk or regular
- 2 cups of fruit (I used almost a pint of blueberries and a handful of strawberries)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put 2 tablespoons of butter in an 8 inch round pan (or whatever you have). Put in oven to melt. When butter is melted, remove pan from oven.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add almond milk and agave nectar. Whisk to form a smooth batter (do not over mix).
- After removing pan from oven pour batter into pan, then scatter the fruit over the batter (do not mix), sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sugar if desired.
- Bake until batter browns and the fruit is bubbly. About 50 to 60 minutes. Enjoy hot, warm, or cold. Serve with cool whip or vanilla ice cream as a summer treat!