Eggplant Parmesan is something my Grandma always made when I was a child. The problem was that I never tried it because I always thought I hated eggplant! I was definitely wrong! If you are skeptical about whether you like eggplant, after trying this recipe, you won’t be. In this recipe I decided to bake the eggplant instead of fry for less of a mess and less fat.
Eggplants are growing in my garden right now and I can’t wait for them to be ready to harvest so I can start making them! They are available in the supermarkets all year round but they are best from August through October.
Eggplant is also low in calories, with just 35 per cup. It also contains no fat and is high in fiber content to help you feel full. This recipe was adapted from Curves Complete Eggplant Parm.
My sister was actually the first one to make this recipe and we loved it so much it became a regular dinner in our house. This time it was my turn to make it. Serve with a good portion of green salad and enjoy!Here’s what I did:
You will need:
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup of grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 dried basil
- olive oil for baking sheets
- salt and pepper
- 2 large eggplants – sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 6 cups of tomato sauce (your favorite brand or home made)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 2 baking sheets with oil.
- In a wide bowl mix together eggs and 1 tablespoon of water. In another bowl combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, let excess drip off, dredge in breadcrumbs and move to baking sheet. Continue. Bake until golden brown – 20-25 minutes. Turn slices and continue to bake on other side 20-25 min more.
- Remove from oven and raise heat to 400 degrees.
- Spread a layer of sauce on bottom of baking dish. Arrange eggplant in dish, cover with sauce, then mozzarella cheese. Repeat 1 or 2 more times. Add more cheese to the final layer.
- Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese has melted – 15-20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a simple salad and enjoy! This is also great as left overs for the next day or lunch!