Smashed Potatoes with a crispy skin and fresh rosemary. This recipe was something I first saw on the Food Network. I never thought of making smashed potatoes before but boy were they delicious.
Potatoes are definitely a comfort food and one of the most important food staples around the world. However, potatoes these days have been turned very greasy. French fries or potato chips loaded with butter, sour cream, fats, and melted cheeses. If you are going to eat potatoes and you are watching what you eat make sure it is in the purest form possible. Try to stay away from processed french fries and potato chips.
I found this recipe for smashed potatoes from the Pioneer Women. In her blog she smashed the potatoes a little bit more then I did. This is because I was originally going to grill them. If you do choose to grill them then make sure not to smash them too much so they don’t fall apart on the grill.
Here’s what you need
- A pound and a half of red white and purple potatoes
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
What to do
- Bring a pot of water to a boil with salt
- Put potatoes in a pot and cook until slightly tender about 20-25 minutes. To check if tender use a fork.
- Once potatoes are cooked remove from pot and let cool before working with them. About 20 minutes.
- The steps above can be made ahead if you do want to make things easier before dinner. Once ready preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- To smash potatoes you can use the palm of your clean hands or a potato smasher. Smash potatoes then line on a baking sheet sprinkle with salt pepper, a little olive oil and top potatoes with fresh rosemary.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until skin is crispy.
- Serve right away.
If you wish to grill your potatoes instead of bake you can!