Sausage & Peppers Served with Wild Brown Rice.
During the week I am always trying to find meals that are quick and easy or can even be made in advance. It seems that if I don’t I find myself going to bad habits such as ordering in unhealthy foods. Like pizza! If I have a healthier option I would rather eat that but sometimes there just isn’t enough time to cook during the week!
This recipe was made for meal prep purposes. On the nights that I work until 8 o’clock I have no desire to cook when I get home. I find that prepping my meals ensures that I will eat the right foods.
Serve this meal with a green salad and you will have a delicious, quick weeknight meal.
This sausage and pepper recipe is so easy and you could add chicken stalk or a can of diced tomatoes to spice this up. I kept it pretty basic and it’s still delicious.
What you need:
- 1 package of Italian turkey sausage about 6 sausages
- 4 cups of sliced bell peppers (I used red green and yellow)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- 1 cup of wild brown rice cooked according to package
What to do:
- 1. Preheat one smaller saute pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and one larger with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Once hot add Italian sausage to the small pan and cover. Cook until brown on each side. About 5-10 minutes. Remove from pan and slice on a cutting board. It’s okay if the sausage is still a little pink on the inside because we will add it to the pepper mixture.
- While sausage is cooking add bell peppers to larger saute pan with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Add sliced sausage to the bell peppers and cook for another 5-7 minutes with lid on. You want to cook until the sausage is no longer pink and bell peppers are still a little tender.
- Enjoy and split portions into containers with a little bit of brown rice in each one.
Refrigerate and eat as needed. Can be reheated in microwave.