Healthier Chicken Pot Pie loaded with vegetables! A delicious and cozy meal for a fall day.
Chicken Pot Pie is a meal that always comforted me as a kid. However, when I was younger the only time I would really eat it is at my friends house. And it was always the frozen pies. As I got older, a little wiser, and more health conscious, I started to make my own and realized that it’s easy.
You might think chicken pot pie isn’t healthy. But this recipe only uses a crust on top and is crustless on the bottom, which you won’t miss. I also made this recipe easier using a pre made dough crust. This saved me a lot of valuable time. I suggest you do the same!
Here’s What You Need:
- 1 pound of chicken thighs cooked and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of peas
- 2 potatoes boiled until tender and diced small
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- splash of white wine
- splash of milk
- italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 unbaked pie crust room temperature
- 1 egg and 2 tablespoons water
What to do:
- Begin by cooking your chicken (you can use store bought cooked chicken if you wish). I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and baked chicken thighs for 25 minutes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Cool and chop for pie.
- While chicken is cooking preheat large sauté pan with olive oil. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent. Stir in cooked chicken until warm. Sprinkle flour over chicken and onion mixture. Pour in can of peas, corn, and potatoes.
- Then add 2 cups of chicken broth and splash of wine. Let cook and thicken about 1 minute. Then add additional seasonings. Add milk and let thicken and remove from heat.
- Change temperature to 375 and get a casserole dish out. Pour the chicken and vegetables into the dish. Put pre made crust on top and fold edges over.
- Make 3 slots for air while cooking. Make egg wash and put on pot pie. Bake for 30 minutes. Let rest for 10-15 and enjoy!Enjoy! Makes great leftovers. (: