Classic Beef Chili
This is a classic all American Beef Chili and it is packed with flavor.
Ground beef chili is the classic of family dinners, potlucks, and parties! I love this because it can be made so easily with simple super market ingredients. This is rich and balanced leaving you extremely satisfied.
I love chili! When it’s winter and the temperature begin to drop I always am looking for a warm hug. Food does that for me. This chili does that. It is like a hug in a bowl with big flavor. I added a lot of spices and aromatics so it would boost the taste of this classic dish.
Turkey chili is usually my go to but I decided to try something a little different then my usual and use ground beef. I find that it can be a little bit heavy, but this was just the opposite it was perfectly balanced. So, where did this amazingly balanced and tasty recipe come from? For Christmas I received an amazing cook book The New Family Cook Book from America’s Test Kitchen. Click the link and check it out on Amazon, it is huge and has every recipe and tip you could need in your kitchen!
This recipe is on page 119 and I added a few extras as I went along. Check it out!
What you need:
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper (remove seeds and cut into small pieces)
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 pounds of 85 percent lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce can) dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce can) black beans rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- water, as needed
What to do:
- Make the spice mixture by combining chili powder, cumin, dried parsley, red pepper flakes, oregano, cayenne, cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add onions and bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook until softened 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in half of the beef. Increase heat to medium high and cook 5 minutes. Add remaining beef and cook until no longer pink. Stir in beans, diced tomatoes with their juice, and tomato puree and bring to a simmer. If chili seems thick add water as needed (about 1 cup total) Cover, reduce heat to gentle simmer and cook stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Uncover and continue to simmer until beef fix tender and sauce is dark, rich, and slightly thickened, about 45 minutes.
- Enjoy and add water as needed to adjust consistency. Serve with a lime slice, 2 tablespoons avocado, and a sprinkle of cheese!