Healthier French Toast with Strawberries
Another Snow Day in New York. Whenever we get a snow day I love to take the time to make Breakfast. Last week I made French Toast. I love breakfast. French toast is something I hadn’t made in a long time because I just assumed it was one of those things that was better in restaurants. I was wrong! This is really good. It doesn’t taste heavily fried like some french toast. The wholewheat toast is great and you holds up really well if you do it right.
You can put French Toast with just about anything and it will be good. Serve with sliced strawberries (like I did), bananas, blueberries, walnuts, raspberries, the list goes on! It really is easy to make and layer with you favorite add ins. Make this for your family next time you are looking for something yummy to make for your family.
What you need:
Serves 1 Person (Double to serve 2)
- 2 slices of whole wheat toast
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of your favorite milk (almond milk works also)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon good vanilla
- 4 strawberries sliced thin
- agave nectar in place of maple syrup as topping
What to do:
- Preheat a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- In a bowl wide enough to fit a piece of bread mix together: egg, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan to lightly oil. While oil is heating in the pan dip 1 piece of bread into wet mixture (3 seconds on each side). Move bread to the pan (if pan is wide enough for 2 pieces add second pice of bread). Let cook on both sides until golden.
*Tips: Do not let bread sit in liquid for too long or it will fall apart when you move it to the pan. Watch so it does not burn.
- Remove from heat and place on a plate with sliced strawberries on top. Top with agave nectar to replace maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.