Roasted Shrimp with Feta, Fennel, and Breadcrumbs
This dish is just amazing. It’s one of those things that sound just okay but once you make it the final product is so good! The feta adds a nice salty and creaminess with breadcrumbs for a crunch and fennel in replace of onion.
I first had this dish almost two years ago and have been thinking about making it ever since. I have had it in the back of my mind but every time I never ended up making it. Shrimp is a protein that I like to make for a nice meal on the weekends when I have a little extra time to enjoy it. However, Roasted Shrimp with Feta is really easy to make so you could definitely enjoy this on a weekday.
The one thing I would do differently is use fresh bread crumbs. I used pre made because I didn’t have bread for fresh and it was easier to grab it out of cabinet. Next time, I think I will definitely try fresh.
If you love shrimp you need to try this dish. You can also make this for a small dinner party because it looks like it is really complicated but in reality is so easy. The recipe is from Barefoot Contessa and the episode Summertime Easy but I enjoyed the comfort that it brings in the winter. I would serve it with some jasmine rice and roasted asparagus.
Here’s What You Need:
- 4 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups medium-diced fennel
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds (16 to 20 per pound) peeled shrimp with tails on
- 5 ounces good feta cheese, coarsely crumbled
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (pulse day old bread in food processor)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in an oven proof heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add the fennel and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, add the garlic and cook for additional 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and bring to boil let reduce by half. Add the tomatoes with the liquid, tomato paste, oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the fennel sauce is cooking make the breadcrumb topping. Combine: breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons olive oil. Put aside.
- Arrange the shrimp in a circle tales up and going the same way in one layer. Sprinkle the feta over the top of the shrimp. Top with the breadcrumb mixture in an even layer.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until shrimp is cooked, and breadcrumbs are browned. Make sure you watch so breadcrumbs do not burn. I cooked mine for 15 minutes and let sit for 1-2 minutes. Squeeze juice of half a lemon over the top.
- Serve with jasmine rice and roasted asparagus.