These brownies have no flour and no butter…but they are amazing! Get ready for the secret ingredient – black beans!
Yes, you heard that right. The main ingredient in these Amazing Brownies from SkinnyTaste is black beans. I was a bit skeptical myself as well but decided to go ahead and give it a try, and I am so glad that I did. These brownies are my new favorite dessert, I have made them twice since finding the recipe!
So your first question you are asking yourself is – does this taste like beans? No it does not taste like beans at all. All you get is a sweet chocolatey flavor that is enhanced by the instant coffee and semi-sweet chocolate chips! I love them because they almost have a cake like texture that is very satisfying if you have a major sweet tooth like me! Black beans are good for you and this is a good way to sneak them into your diet!
The true test is always the kids. My sister gave one of these brownies to my nephew before I had even told her what they were made of - she assumed a regular brownie. He ate one... and then another.. and another. Later, I asked her if he tried the brownies and she said yes. I said causally said: "oh, those are made of black beans". She was shocked! I told my nephew and he didn't care, he wanted to bring them to his friends in his class ( he is 5)!
What you need:
- A food processor
- (14 oz) can of low-sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk or skim milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground coffee or instant coffee
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan generously with a non-stick spray.
- In a food processor blend the beans, eggs, cocoa powder, sugar, oil, milk, vinegar, baking powder, baking soda, and instant coffee. Blend until it is the texture of a smooth batter make sure there are no bean lumps. Then fold in half a cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into baking dish and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top of the pan.
- Place in oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and then slice into squares.