A lemony Middle Eastern salad that uses quinoa instead of traditional bulgur to put a twist on a classic. Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad is a great picnic or BBQ side dish that gives you a boost of protein with the quinoa and a bite of freshness with the mint and parsley.
Over the next week I am going to put out some Memorial Day weekend inspiration! Many of us will be barbecuing over the weekend and you shouldn’t neglect your side dishes people. Especially when they are this easy.
Quinoa is a grain that is very rich in protein and one of the healthier options when it comes to grains. It makes great cold salads like this Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad or could be used in place of white rice in a hot dish. If you think quinoa is bitter than you probably aren’t rinsing it well enough before you cook it. You have to rinse your quinoa and then cook it to get that taste away. Also quinoa will take on any flavor you give it! In this case a lemony herb dressing covers the quinoa to make this healthy side dish or even lunch.
Here is the first of my Memorial Day Weekend Party Ideas!
What makes this Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad even better is the fact that you can make it a head of time. Either put the dressing on before you serve it or you can dress it up to one day in advance, any longer and it will loose it’s texture.
Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
What you need (Serves 6-8):
- 1 cup of rinsed and cooked quinoa according to package, cooled
- 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 hot house or Persian cucumber, seeded, unpeeled, and diced small
- 2 scallions (aka green onions), white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
What to do:
- Cook quinoa according to package, don’t forget to rinse. *If the quinoa is cooked and there is excess water in the pot drain it. Once the quinoa is cooked and slightly cooled add the lemon juice, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- While quinoa is cooking prepare your vegetables into small uniform cuts: tomatoes and cucumber. Next, chop your herbs.
- In a large bowl combine scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the quinoa into the large bowl and mix well. Can be made up to one day in advance. You can also leave the oil and lemon juice off until right before serving if making a few days in advance. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.
Enjoy your Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad!
Don’t forget to follow Hunter’s Healthy Kitchen on: