I am so excited to start grilling this summer and one of my favorite things has to be the simplicity of these perfectly grilled shrimp with vegetables. All you need is some lemon juice, dried or fresh herbs, red pepper flakes and good quality shrimp! Skewering the shrimp helps keep the shrimp in together and also cook evenly. Memorial Day is coming up and here is some inspiration for your backyard BBQ’s!
I’m starting the season off slow with grilled shrimp and I have to say I missed the amazing flavor that grilling adds to food!
My family loves to eat shrimp but I was never sure the best way to grill it. I have a grill basket which works wonderfully for vegetables on the grill – not so much shrimp. You could put the shrimp directly on the grill but they may fall through – or if you have a lot of shrimp it can be difficult to manage. You could use a tinfoil pouch but you may not get those grill marks I crave…
The best way to cook Simple Grilled Shrimp with Vegetables is to skewer your shrimp then rub them with seasoned olive oil and cook them on the grill. The skewer keeps all the shrimp in place, they cook evenly, and makes it so easy to cook for a large crowd. If you are just starting your grilling season try these super easy grilled shrimp with lemon juice, it will be perfect.
Serve your simple grilled shrimp with a grill basket stir-fry of green beans and mushrooms as well as some quartered bell peppers seasoned with salt and pepper. This meal could not be any easier, and that’s why I love it.
How to Grill Shrimp Perfectly
What you need:
- 1 pound of cleaned and deveined large shrimp (tails on)
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- half a juice of a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound of trimmed green beans
- a couple mushrooms sliced
- 2 bell peppers cut into fourths
What to do:
- Wash and pat dry your shrimp and begin to skewer them by placing 4 shrimp per skewer in the same direction. (I did not soak my skewers because the shrimp only cook for a few minutes on each side – if you cook them longer they will be black and burn). Makes about 6 skewers.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper both sides. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, red pepper flake and garlic powder. Use a basting brush and baste both sides of the shrimp liberally with olive oil mixture. If preparing a head of time then you can cover these and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees and prepare your vegetables. Toss the green beans and mushrooms with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. (I like to keep it simple)
- Quarter your bell peppers and brush with the remaining olive oil mixture that was on the shrimp.
- Leave the grill basket on the grill while it’s preheating and once hot place the green beans and mushrooms in the basket. Next place the bell peppers skin side down to get charred. Put the other half of the lemon on the grill flesh side down.
- After about 5 minutes put the shrimp on the hot grill. Grill shrimp about 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Remove the shrimp on to a serving platter and place the bell peppers and green bean mixture on the same plate. Squeeze grilled lemon on top of the shrimp and serve.
Don’t forget to follow Hunter’s Healthy Kitchen on: